Sofina is a Belgian family-controlled and run investment company listed on Euronext Brussels (SOF.BR). Our mission is to provide patient capital, expertise and advice, to growing companies led by entrepreneurs and families and we aspire to be their preferred partner, coupled with a long-term horizon that few other investors can match.
Sofina performs its investments directly and through venture and growth capital funds. Sofina has a team of ~50 people (incl. 22 investment professionals) with offices in Brussels, Luxembourg and Singapore. More information is available on www.sofinagroup.com.
You will be joining the Tax and Legal Department, where you will actively participate in the legal aspects of Sofina’s investment activities, the corporate housekeeping of the Sofina group, compliance with applicable laws and regulations and the monitoring of regulatory developments relevant to Sofina.
Member of a team composed of 6 active lawyers split between Brussels (4), Luxembourg (1) and Singapore (1), you will work in close hand with your colleagues, under the supervision of the General Counsel. You will mainly focus on corporate law, M&A and legal compliance and will assist the team in:
- Participating, as junior legal counsel, in the group’s investment and divestment transactions (legal due diligence, reviewing, commenting and negotiating non-disclosure agreements and transaction documents, liaising with the investment team and external legal counsels, and monitoring such investments from a legal perspective);
- Assisting the team in the corporate housekeeping of the Belgian entities of the Sofina group (shareholders’ meetings, meetings of the board of Directors, convening notices, proxies…), compliance matters (financial, transparency, GDPR, MAR (insider list), tax, and other general regulatory matters) and reviewing agreements with service providers and drafting intra-group agreements;
- Monitoring the corporate housekeeping of Sofina’s portfolio companies (attendance to AGMs, execution of shareholders’ consents, monitoring threshold crossings, compiling AML documentation and other corporate documents);
- Ensuring compliance with applicable laws and anticipating regulatory changes through ongoing regulatory watch and issuance of legal advice.
In addition, you will be required to actively assist the team in its communication and corporate social responsibility (« CSR ») functions, including the corporate external communication and the implementation of Sofina’s CSR policy. You will be involved in the following tasks:
- Assisting the team in the issuance of the corporate and financial documentation (annual report, half-year financial report, press releases, newsletters, website content, corporate brochure, …) internally and with the external communication agency;
- Implementing Sofina’s CSR policy (UNPRI reporting, internal CSR initiatives, reporting on the CSR activities in Sofina’s annual report).
- You hold a Master degree in law;
- You have a relevant experience, in the range of 1 to 3 years, as a lawyer either in a law firm or notary office or as in-house lawyer;
- You have a good understanding of M&A, listed companies, their communication and regulatory environment;
- You have a particular interest for the investment activity and CSR matters;
- You like multi-task challenges, you are flexible and eager to learn;
- You are fluent in English (both written and oral) and are native or have a good knowledge of French and/or Dutch;
- You have good analytical and synthesis skills and you are able to draft clear and accurate internal notes;
- You have advanced MS Office skills;
- You are business minded, have excellent organization and communication skills, you are rigorous and detail-minded;
- You are a reliable and discreet team player.
The Junior Legal Counsel will be part of the Tax & Legal team of Sofina in Brussels and will report to the General Counsel.
@ Sofina S.A., rue de l’Industrie 31, 1040 Brussels, Belgium
Emilie van de Walle de Ghelcke Wauthier de Bassompierre